Recently, I had the opportunity to work with a client on redesigning and updating the functionality of their website.  Based upon their requirements, a newly designed website using WordPress as the basis with specific plugins and some customization worked best.  Unfortunately, the caveat to this is that they also have a module of their site that is built in ColdFusion with a SQL 2008 database. Due to budgetary restrictions, we decided that it would be best to leave the CF module “as is” as far as functionality but reskin to fit the new design.


This worked great, however when installing the CF module onto a Linux server, there are a few items that we learned. For anyone that will be installing a windows based site onto a Linux server in the future, here are a few tips:

  1. Linux is very picky about Upper/lower case in the url structure.  So, if your directory structure and page name uses upper/lower cases, ensure that you use the same structure for the url link.  As an example, if your directory structure is /UpperCase/files.cfm  don’t use http://www.siteurl.com/uppercase/Files.cfm.  This won’t work, you must use the same structure as your site which would be: http://www.siteurl.com/UpperCase/files.cfm
  2. Forward slash and back slashes. While windows uses the back slash structure \ for it’s server path, Linux uses the forward slash structure /.  You may need to search and replace any instances in the files where a backslash \ is used.
  3. Upper/lower case in image names.  If using Flash or other types of applications that can be called to display within a page, ensure that the same Upper/lower case structure is used for images.  If your .fla flash file has the images that are used to create the flash application as lower case, ensure that images on the server are lower case as well.
  4. A strange item, although not specific to Windows/Linux conversion, is when placing a site live and using WordPress you may need to resave your permalinks (without making any changes, just hit save again on the Permalink page).  I had this issue when placing the new site live, where some of the site url’s were displaying the temp url structure used during the initial set up and testing phase vs. the domain name. Once I hit save on the Permalink page, all worked fine.

Good luck with any new site deployments and any other recommended items to look out for are welcome!!